Saturday, May 8, 2010


We have officially been home from our Honeymoon and back at work for a week now. We spent 8 days, 7 nights in Fiji, on a small island called Turtle Island. Turtle Island is a small independently owned island that is part of the larger Yasawa Islands in Fiji. It's real Fiji name is Nanayu Levu, in case anyone wanted to look up it's location.  Actually, I'll save you the trouble and show you a picture...
Our journey began on Thursday, April 22.  We left Virginia, flying out of Dulles and landed in Los Angeles at about 6 pm L.A. time, 9 pm our time. We didn't board a plane to Fiji until 9:45 L.A. time - so needless to say, by the time we got on the plane to Fiji we were very tired. The flight was 10 and a half hours long...we sat in the back of the plane where there were only two seats per row so we didn't have anyone sitting next to us. It was hard to get comfortable but we both managed to sneak in a few hours of sleep.  We landed in Nadi, Fiji, after crossing the International Date Line on Saturday at 5:30 a.m. - this would be about 1 pm or so on Friday back in Virginia. We were tired! We still had a small water plane to take that didn't leave until 11 am and we hadn't had a shower or anything. Drew showered in the airport bathroom and then our driver, Peter, took us into Nadi, drove us around town, showed us downtown and then dropped us off at Jack's, a store that sells everything to help us kill some time. Eventually we headed over to pick up our co-passengers for the plane and we headed to the flight area. After weighing in (only a certain amount of kilos could be taken on the plane) we were ready for take off! Unfortunantly we had issues with our plane and had to go back and jump on another one.
We were very excited when we finally landed on Turtle Island. We were greeted with a huge sign and the staff singing to us.  I was carried off the plane by two "Fijian Warriors" and we were promptly handed a drink.
Our week went by slowly yet quickly at the same time. By the end of the week we were ready to go home but sad to be leaving at the same time. We met some great people, did a lot of great things and even got a nice tan in the process. We made friends that we plan to visit this summer and others we plan to stay in touch with. The food was good, the water was clear and blue and I stood on the same beach as Brooke Shields when she made the movie "The Blue Lagoon." It was pretty awesome. All of these pictures are ones taken by our Bure Mama, but I will do more posts with all of our pictures and video as well!
Our new friends from Australia - Kor and Ignabor
Our Honeymoon Tree
After deep sea fishing

Ready to ride horses

Napping on the hammock one lazy afternoon
Beautiful sunset cruise

Our new friends from Chicago, Bob and Inga.
First steps onto the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment